Monday, November 08, 2010

Stalkin' in Memphis

So after rollin' in from Memphis at around 6am Sunday morning I think I'm back on track. We had a great time at the Memphis Comic and Fantasy Convention.We had the opportunity to meet some old friends from Mid South Con and make tons of new ones.

First a big thanks to Carlin Stuart for driving us around for dinner! I only wish we had had more time to spend on Beale St.... And thanks to Shorty for being our "handler"...Holy crap, that sounds creepy! Anyway, some highlights...

So Denise Crosby approaches me at the VIP party and introduces herself and tells me she's a fan! For those that don't know Denise is known for her roles in Star Trek: The Next Generation, Pet Sematary, X-Files, and Dexter! How cool is that! Also I found out that her ex-father-in-law is Blake Edwards! Blake is the director of the classic Pink Panther movies as well as Breakfast At Tiffany's! I couldn't let the opportunity pass so I gave her a copy of my Breakfast Is Tiffany print with the inscription : "Denise, Yeah, I think I dismembered the film" which is in reference to the song. I asked her how she thought Blake would feel about my zombification of his creation she replied that he would most likely love it because he has a pretty twisted sense of humor! There is now one degree of separation between Breakfast At Tiffany's and Breakfast Is Tiffany!

We also had the pleasure of meeting Suzanna Leigh who has been in films such as Paradise Hawaiian Style with Elvis, Lust for a Vampire, Deadly Bees and Son of Dracula. We also got to hang out with Sean Taylor, Bobby Nash, Adam Shaw, Sam Flegal, and some guy named Marc Ballard.

We were set up across from Ghost Rider creator Gary Friedrich. We've been to a few shows with Gary but I never really had the opportunity to check his stuff out. Man, was I surprised to learn that in addition to Ghost Rider Gary also wrote some of my favorite comics like Captain America, Monster of Frankenstein and Sgt. Fury and his Howlin' Commandos! I had no idea! During my down time I did a sketch of Ghost Rider and got Gary to sign it along with a copy of page #1 script of Ghost Rider's first appearance. Sweet!

I also sat down with Jon Klement and did a half hour interview for his podcast Dragon Talk Radio.

We rounded out our weekend when Carlin took us to Beale Street for dinner. Us consisted of Sam Flegal, Arne Starr, Heather and myself. This was the first time I had met Arne. He has worked for DC and Marvel and is probably best known for his work on the Star Trek comics. He now acts and has been on My Name is Earl, Mad Men, Medium and CSI as well as parts in Flags of Our Fathers, Blades of Glory, Spiderman 3, Transformers, Rush Hour 3, Iron Man and Star Trek. The man had some interesting tales to tell and we look forward to meeting up with him again.

Jon Klement

Pull My Finger is a great game to play while on the radio!

Sean Taylor just wanted to know what it's like to be me.

Dinner!

Beale Street

Dinner with Carlin, Sam, me, Heather and Arne

 Gary signing my sketch


Heather and Arne

No comments: